kara

 kara walker had a traveling exhibit called my complement, my enemy, my oppressor, my love. here are some images from the installation at the guggenheim. it's so beautiful. i'm not sure i understand it entirely yet, but i understand the strength and what i interpret as underlying anger in her statement, and i appreciate the power behind her work.
"i find that i am rewriting history, trying to make it resemble me, kara (and me, negress) but doing it in little bits and pieces. it's a monomaniacal undertaking, but there is a lot of (white, patriarchal) damage to undo. i mean, that's the only way history is written anyway, in little pieces. i would have preferred to make up my own mythology and make it stick as effectively as those ante- and post-bellum characters have in the collective unconscious, or to make up stories as influential as the american revolution and its heroes and ideals. but alas, i've got only myself, the penny empire of me to work with, so that's what i do." —kw







thoughts?

have a brilliant day.

Comments

  1. Very intriguing, beautifully done in black and white with colored lights, but like you, I don't think I "get" it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment